A walk to Remember
A Walk to Remember was released in 2002, starring Mandy Moore and Shane West. Shane West played a rebellious teen, while Mandy Moore played a good daughter and student, yet was described by her schoolmates as an outsider or geek.
Yes, this was released in 2002, but I watched it sometime between 2013 and 2014. This movie actually made me cry during and after I watched it. The story gives hope in everything; it will make you fall in love again.
I don’t know why, but I just love the idea of being in love. Maybe some people will find this movie corny or tragic, but for me, it is not. They found love in each other, and it lasted until the end. I think it is still better to learn how to love and be loved in return than to not experience love at all.
This popular rebellious student, Landon, and his friends were threatened with expulsion because of underage drinking on school property, and one student got injured after a prank gone wrong. In order not to be expelled, Landon had to participate in a school play and tutor his fellow students.
During this time, he noticed Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore), who was considered a geek. She always wore sweatshirts and long dresses, or what we would describe in Filipino as “manang.”
Landon needed Jamie’s help to learn his lines in their play. Since then, they began to become friends. Landon’s friends didn’t like him being friends with Jamie, so they tried to ruin her image. They played a cruel prank on her, but Landon didn’t approve of it. He protected Jamie and stood up against his friends.
Landon asked Jamie’s father for permission to take her out on a date. On their first date, he fulfilled Jamie’s wishlist—such as being in two places at once and getting a tattoo.
After that date, Landon asked her if she had any plans for college. She then confessed that she wasn’t planning for college because she had leukemia and was no longer responding to treatment. He was shocked by what Jamie revealed.
You know what, it must be a tragic thing knowing that Jamie (Mandy Moore) was sick. But still, Landon (Shane West) never gave up on his love for Jamie.
I am not really sure how this would be in real situations. Yes—how would a man react if he found out that the love of his life is sick and terminally ill? Would his reaction be like Landon’s? Would he love unconditionally, without any reason?
If a man found out that his love is sick, would he stay? Because this is what Landon did for Jamie—he stayed for her. He did everything to make Jamie happy. They both did their best to fight and stay strong. Being sick or facing any other challenge is not what defines the kind of love you can give. For me, love is not a selfish thing.
His love for her is real. I don’t think I can find any word to describe what they had, but it feels so good to wish that one day you’ll find something like what they had. The love in this movie is eternal; it is genuine and pure.
You can see in this movie how Landon changed for Jamie. He did everything—he studied well, became a good son, and became a better person. It is nice to see a man who was once rebellious become a good person in the end because of love, and I think this can also happen in real life.
It might not be easy to conquer something like cancer, but with the help of love, you can fight through the rough times. Landon never gave up hope that Jamie would heal, but sometimes, even though we do everything or give our best, when something is destined to happen, it will happen.
Jamie’s condition grew worse, and she was sent to the hospital. During the days they were there, Jamie gave Landon a book that once belonged to her mother. She also told Landon that God may have sent him to help her fight this difficult situation.
I love the phrase that Jamie read in the book.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous.Love is never boastful or conceited.It is never rude or selfish, It does not take offense and is not resentful."
She was sent home and started home care. Landon built a large telescope for Jamie in order for her to see the once-in-a-lifetime comet in spring. He brought it to the balcony, and there they had a wonderful view of the comet.
On that balcony, they also danced to the song “Someday We’ll Know” by Mandy Moore and Jonathan Foreman, which is also one of my favorite songs by Mandy Moore.
Landon asked Jamie to marry him, and she said “YES.” They got married in the church where Jamie’s mother and father were married. It was so pure—a love that conquers anything. I cried; there was a sting in my heart because of both sadness and happiness for them. Landon and Jamie spent their time together during that summer.
Jamie died when summer ended. It is hard for me to accept it, but this is really what happened.
Years passed, and Landon finished his studies. He visited Jamie’s father and apologized for not fulfilling Jamie’s ambition—to witness a miracle. But Jamie’s father said that Landon was her miracle.
He went outside Jamie’s house, and he finally understood that their love is like the wind—you cannot see it, but you can feel it.
That song plays “Cry” by Mandy Moore, and it leaves a scar in my heart. How I wish this movie ended like those kinds of films where the girl recovers in the end and they live happily ever after. But sadly, it’s not like that. I still love the flow of the story; it is still a happy ending for me. Like what Landon said, the love that they had is like the wind—we may not see it, but we can feel it.
I am writing this just to express my thoughts, feelings, and opinions about this movie. I really love this movie. I love everything about it—the cast, the story, the characters, the songs, etc. To be honest, I really don’t know how I can express myself right now. There was a time after I watched it that I wanted to see them together like a real couple. I think I have watched it a few times, and since I miss it, I am seriously going to watch it again.
Please, if you want something to watch that has a lesson and if you want to cry, I recommend this movie. I know this is an old movie, but I consider it awesome. Also, please listen to Mandy Moore’s songs like “Cry” and “Someday We’ll Know.” I can guarantee you’ll love those songs; I still have them on my playlist.
I really don’t know what got into my mind to blog something like this. This might not be perfect, but like what my header stated, I just love doing things that make me happy.
I wish you a good day!!
--AwalktoRemember
Cr:(Photos and other stuff) https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=a+walk+to+remember&oq=a+wa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i64l2.1664j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8






Comments
Post a Comment